Today Indian Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman announced a relief package worth Rs 1,70,000 crore to help the nation in this Covid-19 outbreak.
This move comes after 21 days nationwide lockdown ordered by Indian PM Narendra Modi. FM Sitharaman said that this relief package will mainly focus on poor and daily wagers.
She Said: “A package is ready for the poor who need immediate help like migrant workers and urban and rural poor. No one will go hungry. The package is worth Rs 1.7 lakh crore packagePradhan Mantri Gareeb Kalyan Yojana, targetting 80 crore people.”
Here are some Key Points from her speech:
- 8.69 crore farmers to be immediately benefited through Direct cash transfers. Installment of Rs 2000 in the first week of April will be transferred.
- Rs 50 lakh insurance per health care worker as a medical insurance cover for them for three months.
- Old age (above 60), Divyang, pensioners: 3 crore people covered, one-time amount of additional Rs 1000 in two installments through DBT (Direct benefit transfer) to be given over 3 months.
- 20 crore Jan Dhan Women account holders will get an ex-gratia amount of Rs 500 per month for the next three months
- 7 crore SHG women under DDU-NRLM to get collateral-free loans of Rs 20 lakh
- 80 crore poor people will get 5kg Rice/Wheat free of cost for the next 3 months, besides 1 kg Pulses per household for 3 months.
- MGNREGA wages to be increased from Rs 182 to Rs 202.
- 5,000 crore for paying 24% monthly wages into their PF accounts for earners below 15,000 per month.
- Welfare for building and construction workers registered 3.5 crore workers to be benefited, Central Govt has given orders to State Govts to use fund Rs31,000 crore to provide relief.